Monday, December 05, 2005

good jobs and bad jobs

Megan McCardle quotes Scott Adams:

Yet another "third highest ranking al-Qaida leader" has been killed, this time by a rocket attack from an unmanned drone. There are a lot of jobs that I wouldn't want, and "third highest ranking al-Qaida leader" is right at the top. But I can tell you for sure that if I ever got that job, the first thing I'd do is narc out one of the top two guys so I could move up a notch. Apparently one of the perks of being in the top two is having a really, really good hiding place. The number 3 through 10 leadership guys are pretty much scurrying between mud huts and looking at the sky a lot.

. . .

Maybe it's just a "guy thing" but the idea of blowing up a mud hut by remote controlled drone sounds like the most fun thing I can think of. And if the number 3 al-Qaida leader happens to be inside, that's a bonus. It certainly makes your story sound less nerdy afterwards.

I find it interesting that the guy with the best job in the world gets to blow up the guy with the worst job in the world. That's really rubbing it in. But I guess it's not so different from a CEO downsizing the auditing department. It's one of those recurring themes in life.
When a cartoonist is cracking jokes about the death rate for terrorist leaders, something must be going right in the War on Terror.

No comments: