Sunday, December 03, 2006

it's a cold night

I usually enjoy cold weather, when I don't have to be out in it. It tends to lose its attractions when I can't get my furnace to come on, though. It's less than 50 degrees in my house right now. I own four blankets. I'm sleeping under four blankets tonight.

The furnace stopped working sometime Friday night. Excellent timing, what with my family staying with me that night. A heating & air guy came out to take a look at it the next day and he determined that the furnace was fine and the thermostat was fine. The problem was a control unit between the two that was receiving the "we need heat" signal from the thermostat but wasn't passing it on to the furnace. Jiggling some wires seemed to resolve the problem and the furnace fired up. Problem solved.

Until I came back from a holiday party tonight, and discovered that the furnace was out again. I jiggled the wires, tightened the connectors, jiggled the wires, and gave up. It looks like the circuit board in that control unit is hosed. Aren't I lucky.

I need to buy a space heater.

No comments: