Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Deconstructing America's Savior - Part 5

Libertarians and constitutionalist conservatives typically support Ron Paul. Since I consider myself to be moderately libertarian in my political views and I lean towards originalist interpretations of the Constitution, I feel compelled to explain why I do not and will not support Ron Paul as a candidate for the Presidency. This is the fifth in a series of several posts in which I pick apart his policy platform and explain my objections.

Previous posts in the series:
  1. An introduction to Ron Paul's policy platform.
  2. Ron Paul on Debt and Taxes.
  3. Ron Paul on American Independence and Sovereignty.
  4. Ron Paul on War and Foreign Policy.
This time, let's pick apart his policy statement regarding Life and Liberty:
The right of an innocent, unborn child to life is at the heart of the American ideals of liberty. My professional and legislative record demonstrates my strong commitment to this pro-life principle.

In 40 years of medical practice, I never once considered performing an abortion, nor did I ever find abortion necessary to save the life of a pregnant woman.
I completely agree with Ron Paul's opposition to legalized abortion.
In Congress, I have authored legislation that seeks to define life as beginning at conception, HR 1094.

I am also the prime sponsor of HR 300, which would negate the effect of Roe v Wade by removing the ability of federal courts to interfere with state legislation to protect life. This is a practical, direct approach to ending federal court tyranny which threatens our constitutional republic and has caused the deaths of 45 million of the unborn.
I appreciate Paul's goal here--I think we'd be better off if abortion policy was a state issue, not a federal issue. I don't know enough about constitutional law to know if his approach in this legislation has any merit. My gut tells me that the Supreme Court would object to this approach and would declare this law to be unconstitutional, since the Court long ago declared itself the arbiter of the constitutionality of state laws. My gut tells me that a better approach would be to overturn Roe v Wade via constitutional amendment. My intestinal tract has never been known as a great constitutional scholar though, so your mileage may vary.
I have also authored HR 1095, which prevents federal funds to be used for so-called “population control.”

Many talk about being pro-life. I have taken direct action to restore protection for the unborn.

As an OB/GYN doctor, I’ve delivered over 4,000 babies. That experience has made me an unshakable foe of abortion. Many of you may have read my book, Challenge To Liberty, which champions the idea that there cannot be liberty in a society unless the rights of all innocents are protected. Much can be understood about the civility of a society in observing its regard for the dignity of human life.
Again, I completely agree with Ron Paul's opposition to legalized abortion. I think his legislative efforts have been largely quixotic, but that seems to be Paul's modus operandi. While it's true that Paul's principled opposition to abortion is incredibly consistent, I doubt that his approach would be much more effective than the other alternatives. My agreement with Paul's goals in this area aren't enough to persuade me that I must support him.

Next up: Ron Paul's policies with regard to The Second Amendment.

1 comment:

Ben said...

This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but here goes. My understanding is that under the Court's current jurisprudence, the right to privacy (which includes the right of a woman to get an abortion) applies against the states via the Fourteenth Amendment. As you stated, I think the only way Congress could change that would be to pass a constitutional amendment. Or, the Court could overrule Roe v. Wade, which it's probably more likely to do now than it ever has been.